Yemeni forces seize Israeli ship in Red Sea, detain 52 crew onboard
Yemen’s Armed Forces have seized an Israeli ship and detained dozens of its crew members in the Red Sea following warnings by the Yemeni Ansarullah resistance movement that the popular force will target any Israeli ship crossing the country’s territorial waters.
Lebanon's Arabic-language al-Mayadeen television news network reported on Sunday that the Yemeni naval forces "succeeded in detaining an Israeli ship in the depths of the Red Sea."
Fifty-two people who were on board the ship were arrested, the report said.
The news network said the ship’s crew and those on board are currently under investigation and their nationalities are being verified by the relevant Yemeni agencies.
Israeli media confirmed the regime’s ownership of the confiscated ship. The vessel goes by the name of ‘Galaxy Leader.’ The media said its entire crew members had been detained by Yemen’s naval forces in the south of the Red Sea.
Brigadier General Yahya Saree, the spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces, announced earlier in the day that the military units would target all ships owned or operated by Israeli companies or carrying the Israeli flag. Yemen’s move, he said, is in support of Palestinians amid Israel’s savage onslaught on the besieged Gaza Strip.
Saree also called on all countries to withdraw their citizens working as crews on any such vessels.
In a televised speech broadcast live on November 14, the leader of Yemen’s Ansarullah resistance movement called on Arab countries and the Muslim world to adopt a clear stance in the face of Israel’s atrocities in Gaza.
Abdul-Malik al-Houthi said the Yemeni forces are keeping a watchful eye on any Israeli ship in the Red Sea, and in the Bab el-Mandab Strait in particular, as well as Yemeni territorial waters.
Houthi said the Israeli occupation “did not dare raise Israeli flags on its ships in the Red Sea.”
“They camouflage, which indicates their fear and the effectiveness of our position.”
Israel waged the war on Gaza on October 7 after the Palestinian resistance groups of Hamas and Islamic Jihad carried out the surprise Operation Al-Aqsa Storm into the occupied territories in response to the occupying regime’s intensified crimes against the Palestinian people.
According to the Gaza-based health ministry, at least 12,300 Palestinians have been killed in the strikes, most of them women and children. Nearly 30,000 Palestinians have also been injured.
Tel Aviv has also imposed a “complete siege” on Gaza, cutting off fuel, electricity, food and water to more than two million Palestinians living there.