Turkey starting troop deployment to Libya, President Erdogan says
https://parstoday.ir/en/news/west_asia-i115596-turkey_starting_troop_deployment_to_libya_president_erdogan_says
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey is starting deployment of troops to Libya in support of the embattled United Nations-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) and in line with agreements relating to maritime border demarcation and enhanced security cooperation.
(last modified 2021-04-13T07:22:40+00:00 )
Jan 17, 2020 08:51 UTC
  • Turkey starting troop deployment to Libya, President Erdogan says

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey is starting deployment of troops to Libya in support of the embattled United Nations-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) and in line with agreements relating to maritime border demarcation and enhanced security cooperation.

According to Press TV, Erdogan announced in the Turkish capital Ankara on Thursday “We signed an agreement with Libya to delineate maritime borders. It is no longer legally possible to conduct exploration and drilling activities or to run pipelines in the region between the Turkish and Libyan coasts without the approval of both countries.”

He added, “In 2020, we are licensing these areas and starting the search and drilling as quickly as ever. After the licensing work, for the first time the Oruc Reis seismic research vessel will conduct seismic studies in the region. We are sending our troops to this country to ensure the survival and stability of the legitimate government in Libya.”

Erdogan remarks came only two days after Libya's renegade military Commander Khalifa Haftar left Moscow without signing a binding truce that would have halted his nine-month campaign to seize the GNA's base of Tripoli, and would have formalized a tentative ceasefire in the war-wracked North African country.

“The draft [agreement] ignores many of the Libyan army's demands,” Haftar was quoted as saying by the Saudi-owned and Arabic-language al-Arabiya television news network.

Fayez al-Sarraj, the head of the GNA, had already signed the truce proposal after indirect talks in the Russian capital on Monday. 

Last week, Turkey and Russia urged Libya’s warring parties to declare a ceasefire after a recent escalation in fighting around Tripoli and the strategic coastal city of Sirte.

Erdogan has said Turkey would not refrain from “teaching a lesson” to Haftar if his eastern-based forces continue attacks against the Tripoli-based GNA.

ME