Guterres ‘deeply shocked’ by Israeli attacks on UN schools in Gaza
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has slammed attacks by the Israeli regime on two schools run by United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) in the Gaza Strip where people sought shelter from incessant Israeli bombardments.
In a statement published on the UN website on Sunday, Guterres said he was “deeply shocked” that two UNRWA schools had been struck by the Israelis in less than 24 hours in Gaza.
“Hundreds of thousands of Palestinian civilians are seeking shelter at United Nations facilities throughout Gaza due to the intensified fighting. I reaffirm that our premises are inviolable,” said the UN chief in the statement.
Dozens of people have reportedly been massacred in Israeli attacks on Saturday on al-Fakhoura and Tall al-Zaatar schools in Gaza. Palestinian sources believe more than 200 people were martyred in the attacks. They say many of the victims were displaced women and children who had sought shelter from Israeli bombardments.
Guterres regretted the staggering and unacceptable number of civilian casualties, including women and children, that is being reported from Gaza every day as a result of the Israeli war.
“This must stop. I reiterate my call for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire,” he said.
Since October 7, Israel has massacred at least 12,300 Palestinians, including more than 5,500 children. Around 30,000 Palestinians have also been injured. The regime has indiscriminately targeted hospitals, schools, mosques and churches.