Daesh claims attack in natural gas-rich region in Mozambique
The Daesh terrorist group has claimed responsibility for an attack in northern Mozambique that killed or injured dozens of security forces on Monday.
According to Press TV, the attack took place in the northern town of Mocimboa da Praia, where gas projects worth 60 billion dollars are being developed by such foreign companies as Exxon Mobil and Total.
Mozambique’s authorities said the militants occupied some areas of the town as well as its army barracks before being pushed out on Tuesday.
The attackers left a “trail of destruction and dead bodies,” government spokesman Filimao Suaze said, adding that security had been beefed up in the area. But the government has not provided a precise casualty toll.
Daesh claimed responsibility on Wednesday.
SS