US general: We did not expect Iran to destroy our bases
-
Former Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen
Pars Today — Former Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen criticized President Donald Trump’s decision to keep US aircraft carriers deployed for an extended period in the war against Iran, acknowledging that the United States had not expected Iran to destroy its bases in the region.
According to Pars Today, citing IRIB, Mullen said Sunday evening during an appearance on ABC News’ This Week that lengthy deployments of aircraft carriers are common. However, responding to Trump’s remarks that the deployment had not lasted long enough, he said such deployments over an extended period put considerable strain on the crews.
Referring to the Islamic Republic of Iran’s military capabilities and defensive operations in response to US and Israeli aggression, he said: “I think we clearly did not expect American bases in the region, where we previously had forces stationed, to be destroyed and wiped out.”
Following reports of a serious logistical crisis aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has been deployed on a lengthy mission in West Asia in support of the illegal war against Iran, as well as controversial reports of suicides among its personnel, a number of US House members called for an explanation of the situation.
The USS Abraham Lincoln has around 5,000 sailors and Marines. Its mission began on November 21 and has been extended in support of the illegal and aggressive US war against Iran.