Iran calls for inter-Afghan peace deal, rejects US agreement
Iran says a so-called peace deal between the Taliban and the United States is an attempt by Washington to justify its illegal presence in Afghanistan, stressing that only domestic talks can stabilize the war-torn country.
According to Press TV, the reaction by Iran's Foreign Ministry Sunday came a day after US and Taliban representatives signed a pact aimed at gradually withdrawing foreign troops from Afghanistan.
Iran said it "believes a lasting peace agreement in Afghanistan will only be achieved through inter-Afghan dialogue with the participation of the country's political groups, including the Taliban, and by taking into account the concerns of Afghanistan's neighbors."
"The Islamic Republic of Iran welcomes any development that contributes to peace and stability in Afghanistan and supports efforts being made in this regard under the Afghan leadership and sovereignty," it said in a statement.
The agreement was struck in the Qatari capital, but while it creates a path for the US to gradually pull out of its longest war, many say it will pose serious challenges as the Afghan government has so far been sidelined.
The United States said it will reduce the number of its troops in Afghanistan to 8,600 from the current 13,000 within 135 days of signing the deal, and work with its allies to reduce the number of their forces over that period.
Iran said it "believes that the presence of foreign troops in Afghanistan is illegal and is one of the main reasons for the war and insecurity in that country."
"The withdrawal of these forces is essential to achieving peace and security in Afghanistan, and any action that provides the ground for the withdrawal of these forces will contribute to peace in that country," the statement said.
SS